The Dukan Diet Custard recipe, comes directly from the Dukan Diet book. It’s meant for those on the Attack Phase, but can be used during any phase!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes, plus a minimum of 2 hrs. and 30 min. chill time.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 5 eggs
- 1 fresh vanilla pod, split lengthwise (I use about 1 tbsp of vanilla extract in its place)
- 1 1/2 c. nonfat milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg, plus a pinch for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large heatproof bowl, beat the eggs until smooth.
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan. Scrape out the inside of the vanilla pod and add the seeds and the bean to the milk (or instead, the tbsp of vanilla extract).
- Over low heat, heat the milk until small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan. Do not let the milk boil!
- Remove the vanilla pod (if used) and slowly pour the hot milk over the eggs, stirring constantly.
- Add the tbsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture into 6 individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle each with nutmeg.
- Place the ramekins in a large baking pan and fill the pan with boiling water, about 3/4 of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
- Allow custards to cool in the pan for 30 minutes and place in the refrigerator covered for 2 hours before serving.
- I sprinkle one packet of Truvia on each custard before serving.