As it turns out, making really good chicken pot pies, from scratch, is hard. Making them gluten-free with the right dough is even harder! However, I’ve finally managed to create on that works well!
Crescent Roll Dough Recipe
The best dough recipe that works with a pot pie is a crescent roll recipe.
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. warm water
- .25 oz. dry active yeast
- 1 egg beaten, divided
- 2 c. all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp. butter, softended
- 1 tbsp. potato starch, or as needed
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe bowl until warm, about 30 seconds. Mix in 1/4 cup butter, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons honey, and salt. Cool until lukewarm, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Combine warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand until dissolved and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine milk and yeast mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add half the beaten egg. Beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls together. Switch to the dough hook attachment and knead lightly until dough is wet and sticky but forms into a ball, about 5 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with 1 teaspoon softened butter. Use greased or wet hands to transfer dough into the bowl, turning to coat it with butter. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 sm. uncooked onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. fat-free evaporated milk
- Crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 10-inch round shallow baking dish, or individual ceramic dishes, with cooking spray
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray. Add butter and melt over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Add vegetables, broth and chicken. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a small cup, combine flour and 1/4 cup of evaporated milk; stir into chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
Spoon chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Place crescent roll dough on top of mixture for each (or on the whole dish). Bake until rolls are golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Or, if you use individual dishes, serve immediately.